Saturday, April 2, 2011

Peaks and Valleys

Everyday we look out the gorgeous mountains surrounding us and exclaim to each other, "Aren't the mountains beautiful today!" Yes, the other replies. And they are, so beautiful and everyday they look different. Majestic, massive, immoveable. This is how I see my marriage of 75+ years to Aldon. Majestic as we traveled the world while he gave scientific papers and invented machines that helped our fellowman. He gave me wings-majestic thrilling experiences and education. I came from a very poor family without an education beyond high school. His family owned a business and sent both their sons off to college to obtain Phd.'s which they both did. His brother and sister-in-law had a baby right away and so I wanted one too. This had always been my dream to be a mother. I had told Aldon before we were married that I wanted 4 children. Two boys and two girls. He said, maybe two would do. Not for me, I thought, not for me. So the years began to pass by while Aldon attending college, did his PhD. and told me to wait to be a mother. It seemed I could never quite get his attention when the subject wasn't to be bother with according to him. I would talk and beg and cry and he could retreat into his lab or behind his computer. When one day, I feel down the flight of stairs in our apartment. He took me to the doctor with a few bruised ribs and torn ankle. The doctor had been our physician for about two years and told Bob he needed to tell Lorac when she could have her baby. Aldon said when I get my PhD. dissertation written and approved. Probably November. I was thrilled. And suddenly the unexplainable accidents stopped happening. I had a son, then 15 months later another son. He finished his Ph.D. and we moved to New Mexico where he went to work for a scientific lab. We have lived in 9 states, traveled to 13 foreign countries and had a very full life. Poor Aldon said I didn't run a three-ring circus, mine was 5-ring. Eventually two daughters were born to us and Aldon found himself very busy with work, church and paper routes with the boys. I loved being a mom and homemaker. LOVED IT! What a blessing to have been able to be supported in a lovely home and not have to work. I often thanked him for providing that to our family. We were conservative in our spending habits as Aldon was very anxious over money. Most of the fighting we did was about my overspending the budget. He was able to retire by the time he was 62 and I thought at last I would have him for a communitive companion. We learned to live as a retired couple; but one thing he did for me which was massive was to finish the basement and build me an art studio. He allowed me to take art classes in local colleges, attend art workshops around the country and paint. I began to gradually teach others and had a fine outlet for my lonliness with him. Because I was lonely. Around 65, he began to be even more withdrawn. He would devote 8-10hours a day to working on deep mathematical problems. He began to have high anxiety and wouldn't attend movies or watch tv with me or travel. We got a cat. That was good. How we loved our cat! Her name was Puss because she had boots like puss and boots. He adored her and would let her lie on his good suit without a fuss. His excuse for not traveling was anxiety and not wanting to leave Puss alone. So sweet, so sad for me and him!

No comments:

Post a Comment